Tap water purifier

From: William M. Gorum, Jr. (wgorum@softdisk.com)
Date: Tue Dec 14 1999 - 14:53:28 PST

Date: Tue, 14 Dec 1999 16:53:28 -0600
From: "William M. Gorum, Jr." <wgorum@softdisk.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Tap water purifier

Hey Listmembers!

I ask lots and lots of questions...now I can finally answer one.

In addition to my carnivorous plants, I also have several aquariums
(Lake Tanganyikan African Cichlids and Discus) that require RO water. I
worked in a LFS (local fish store) for nearly 5 years. When the tap
water purifiers were introduced, I immediately purchased one. They seem
to work really well for the tanks (I went and bought another I liked
them so well), and my fish and aquatic plants look really nice, but I
don't know if I would use the water produced by one on my CP's. Yes,
they are a cheap way to produce purified water without the waste of RO,
and the water is wonderful for aquariums, but I am under the impression
that the Tap water purifier uses an ion exchange resin. If that is the
case, the impurities are pulled out of the water and are replaced with
something else, usually some kind of salt. I've seen ammonia removing
resins that are offered for use in freshwater tanks, and as they remove
the ammonia, they replace it with NaCl (salt). Using salt water, even
weak salt water, is not good for your plants. BTW, I can usually get
75-100 gallons of water out of my purifiers before I have to change the
cartridges.

Instead of purchasing an RO unit or bottled distilled water, try
contacting your LFS about purchasing RO water. Almost all of the pet
stores in my area sell RO water for $0.40 a gallon. All you have to do
is provide the bottles. I get 5 gallon bottles from Wal-Mart and use
them only for the plants.

TTYL,
Will
wgorum@softdisk.com