Re: Fungus on Drosera capensis

From: David Evans (dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu)
Date: Wed Dec 08 1999 - 19:50:18 PST

Date: Wed, 8 Dec 1999 22:50:18 -0500 (EST)
From: David Evans <dpevans@rci.rutgers.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Fungus on Drosera capensis

Dear Micheal,

On Wed, 8 Dec 1999, mbrassel wrote:

> The problem I've been having is when it catches what appear to be
> fungus gnats (very small flying black bugs). After a while, some kind
> of fungus starts to grow, and it ends up looking like the plant has
> little white cotton puffs on the leaves where the bugs were. I've been
> picking the bugs off the plant when this white stuff starts to grow on
> them, but I'm looking for a better solution.
>
> Has anyone else encountered anything like this? If so, how did you get
> rid of it? Is it a problem with the growing conditions, or do I just
> need to use some kind of fungicide?

        Nah. The humidity is too high. _D. capensis_, while your's is
probably used to these conditions, doesn't need the humidity so high. It
could use a bit more fresh air and air movement. Some Drosera do need the
humidity. D. capensis isn't so picky. Less humid air will take care
of your problem. See, the fungus can eat the prey faster than the plant
can in these condition.

Dave Evans