P. x weser Fertility

From: Ivan Snyder (bioexp@juno.com)
Date: Wed Dec 01 1999 - 10:29:21 PST

Date: Wed, 1 Dec 1999 10:29:21 -0800
From: Ivan Snyder <bioexp@juno.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: P. x weser Fertility

Hi Michiel and all,

>I've got a question concerning the seedshape of Pinguicula 'Weser'. I've

>selfpollinated the flowers and it seems like seeds are produced. They
look
>like 'sundew seeds'. Is this correct? I've compared the seeds to those
of Ping.
>vulgaris, but those seeds look more 'stuffed'. I've got, at this moment,
no
>place to sow the seeds to see if they are viable, so therefore I'm
asking the
>list.

     The hybrid Mexican butterwort Pinguicula x weser is a cross of P.
moranensis and ehlersae. I too have grown this plant and pollinated the
flowers to get seed. The seed of this hybrid did prove to be viable and
germinated well. This seems odd to me since the chromosome numbers of the
parents are reported to be different. P. moranensis 2n = 44, P. ehlersae
2n = 32. Perhaps these counts are incorrect?

I have pollinated flowers of two other intraspecies hybrids of Mexican
butterworts and these produced no seed. These were P. agnata X gypsicola
and P. macrophylla? X agnata?. The later I do not know the parentage; it
was made by Leo Song and goes by the name Titan by him or Starfish Plant
sold by Booman Floral.

Ivan Snyder
Hermosa Beach
California