Cephalotus / Earthworms

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Sun Nov 28 1999 - 13:55:36 PST

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 16:55:36 EST
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cephalotus / Earthworms

<< Underneath the pot were dozens of worm castings, and among them was a
small
 earthworm. Earthworms are beneficial to most plants but maybe not to CPs,
 since their castings are rich in nutrients. Has anyone here found earthworms
in their CPs? Did the plant seem stunted?
Should I repot? Ron Sbragia >>

I've never noticed earthworms in my bogs outside. The soil is primarily
sphagnum peat moss. I'm not sure if its because the soil is acidic, too wet,
or that the worms are easy pickings for the birds. Just a few feet away, the
natural soil contains a good earthworm population, so there's something about
the soil they apparantly dont like. Now squirrels and other destructive pests
seem to have no problems diving right in. And dont be too hard on your
cephalotus. I have a few plants that were one inch in diameter back in april,
that are 2 " in diameter now, and thats probably due to the effects of
harmones (they were tc plants)...normally, they grow much more slowly for the
first few years...
Michael Catalani