Re: "giant" forms of pitcher plants

From: C. J. Mazur (ccp@vaxxine.com)
Date: Sun Nov 28 1999 - 10:00:35 PST

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 13:00:35 -0500
From: "C. J. Mazur" <ccp@vaxxine.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: "giant" forms of pitcher plants

Just my 2 cents worth on Giant forms. I agree there are many variables to
be considered when growing Sarracenia that will cause plants to be larger.
For instance on a recent trip to NC last summer I saw flavas around 3.5 -
4ft tall (Jay correct me if I'm wrong), they were growing in sopping wet
sphagnum, almost aquatic. We also saw leucos in Florida growing the same
way and they were easily 4 ft tall! However, there are, what I believe to
be, genetically larger versions of species, just as there are genetically
smaller versions. The okee minor is the easiest example of a genetically
large plant. In the wild, I've seen them growing in sopping sphagnum,
again, gigantic, 3 ft or so. I've also seen them growing much drier and
these plants were still 24 inches tall. Easily doubling typical minor. In
my greenhouse I grow typical minor and giant minor side by side same media,
light humidity etc and the Okee plants are always double the size of the
typical minors. I also grow a dwarf minor, again side by side with the
others, it never grows taller than 6 inches!

I think however, people have to be careful to say something is a giant form.
People talk about the Chatom Giant Wherryii plant. I was there to see the
population. I've never seen them flowering however, they looked to be
hybrids with alata. There were many typical wherryiis there, however no
alata. That doesn't prove its pure. In mississippi, I saw many leucox
alata plants, but there were no leucos to be found!

Just my thoughts.

Carl Mazur