re: cephalotus etc

From: Ed Lomax (ed@dove.net.au)
Date: Sun Nov 28 1999 - 05:21:11 PST

Date: Sun, 28 Nov 1999 23:51:11 +1030
From: "Ed Lomax" <ed@dove.net.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: cephalotus etc

first to say hello all from a several month long lurker and a short intro. I
am relatively new to cp having bough a VFT and some seeds from Brian Denton
in Adelaide Aust' several years ago at a show - now split into arond 15
plants after give-aways. I also have several cephalotus (all from one
original), some other drosera from Fred Howell (too cheap Fred), and some
local natives I ripped out of my fathers old garden including a few D.
peltata which I have trouble keeping bulbs alive during the very dry summer
here, and several unhappy attempts to cultivate D whittakeri, D. pygmaea and
D.macrantha (all locals to my fathers garden area - unfotunately he has now
moved).

I have discussed some unusual Cephalotus propagating techniques with Brian
before, I have never tried the leaf culture method simply because of success
at 2 other methods. The first was to cut the plant apart as it formed new
"heads" (just like VFT's) - 2 out of three manage the trauma in a method I
heard about from a cactus grower at a show. The second was simply to plunge
a stick into the ground an inch or so from the plant to a depth of about 3
inches - small diameter stick of about 1/4-1/3 inch. the result is that the
plant sprouts new "heads" near the holes within a month or two.
None of mine have trps bigger than an inch and a half but then they are
outdoors all year round in open pots and I am sometimes a bit slack with
watering them so the soil gets hard - which is how I discovered the second
method after being away for two weeks.

Maybe this is of no help to any of you but I thought "what the hell", and if
any of you have hints for the drosera I mentioned please feel free to email
me

Ed