N. ampullaria

From: MCATALANI@aol.com
Date: Sat Nov 20 1999 - 19:39:37 PST

Date: Sat, 20 Nov 1999 22:39:37 EST
From: MCATALANI@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. ampullaria

In a message dated 11/20/99 1:41:35 PM Central Standard Time,
cp@opus.hpl.hp.com writes:

 << I believe this is a very misunderstood need that has had profound
  effects on the evolution of these pitcher plants. Ever wonder why
  N.ampullaria almost never makes upper pitchers? Probably because it can't
  get away from using them to collect rain. If it did have upper pitchers,
  they would fill w/ water and pull the plant down into the shade. I
  figure this why it is so good at producing basal rosettes, they are
  supported by the ground--regardless of their size and the weight of water.
Dave Evans >>

I'll also add to what Cliff said by saying that ampullaria will produce basal
rosettes anywhere along the length of the vine...as the ampullaria vine grows
upwards and larger, basal rosettes can suddenly appear anywhere along its
length...so although its rather rare that uppers are produced, the basal
pitchers (misnamed perhaps??) can cluster high up on the vine.
Michael Catalani