Re: D. cistiflora

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Thu Nov 18 1999 - 06:49:48 PST

Date: Thu, 18 Nov 1999 14:49:48 +0000
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. cistiflora

Steve,

>Has anybody got any advice on growing D. cistiflora from seed (not
>you, Bill Tribe - you said it was easy!)? I sowed some on the
>surface of peat/sand mix in late Aug/early Sep here in southern
>UK, and kept them in a greenhouse which is heated but only just -
>night temps. are now around 3C.
>
>I was told that when the days shortened and temperatures dropped
>it would pop up like mustard-and-cress, but so far nothing. Would it
>benefit from a squirt with gibberellic acid?

D. Cistiflora seed should sprout relatively quickly. As you imply it may
be inhibited though by warm temperatures. In my experience though the
seed has to be fresh to germinate well. Seed which has been stored for
even a few months seems to lose viability quickly - I suspect more so if
not stored correctly.

I don't think that giberellic acid will help once the seeds are sown
since most if not all the acid will be soaked into the surrounding soil,
not into the seed itself.
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk
My Sarracenia plant list is now available at http://www.pwilson.demon.co.uk