Nepenthes feeding

From: Charles Bigelow (bandh@usinter.net)
Date: Wed Nov 17 1999 - 13:37:32 PST

Date: Wed, 17 Nov 1999 13:37:32 -0800
From: Charles Bigelow <bandh@usinter.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Nepenthes feeding

In the colder weather with fewer insects, I've tried
feeding my outdoor Nepenthes by dropping a few pellets
of Osmocote into the pitchers. I thought perhaps the
slow release of nutrients would mimic the slow digestion
of insect prey.

I used Osmocote for Potting Mixes, which contains 17-6-10
plus minor nutrients. For larger plants and pitchers, I put
two or three of the little pellets in some pitchers. For
smaller plants, one little pellet only.

So far, it hasn't seemed to cause any harm - the pitchers
with the osmocote seem as healthy as those without - though
neither has it seemed to spur any dramatic bursts of growth.

I'm wondering if anyone else has tried this or has any
comments.

-- Chuck Bigelow