Largest Drosera

From: Phill Mann (philmann@altu.net.au)
Date: Mon Nov 15 1999 - 13:05:09 PST

Date: Tue, 16 Nov 1999 05:05:09 +0800
From: "Phill Mann" <philmann@altu.net.au>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Largest Drosera

Just for something different, can I talk about CP's ?

Mathew and Phil Wilson.

,

> I know I'm new to plants, but what is the biggest sundew species and
how
>large does it grow? Also, how hardy are they?
>Sorry if my ignorance offends anyone :-). I'll learn for sure!
>With many kind regards,
>Matthew

I'm going to lay claim to finding the largest Drosera in the world !
During my latest trip with Robert Gibson and Tuan Nguyen
we located a plant of Drosera erythrogyna that was over 2.5
metres tall. Working away with calculations, we estimated that
there were over 900 leaves and at least 300 flowers. I personally
think this is rather amazing plant for probably 5 - 6 months growth
from a tuber. Footage of this plant will hopefully be available on
video in the near future after being filmed by a Korean film crew.

Phill Mann
P.O. Box 193
Harvey, 6220
Western Australia