Heliamphora soil troubles

From: Owen Priddle (owen_prid@yahoo.com)
Date: Wed Nov 10 1999 - 20:18:38 PST

Date: Wed, 10 Nov 1999 20:18:38 -0800 (PST)
From: Owen Priddle <owen_prid@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Heliamphora soil troubles

Hi everybody!

I have been having some trouble lately with algae,
fungus, and bacterial mats growing on the surface of
my Heliamphoras' soil. It seems that these pests like
the bright light, frequent watering, and foliar
feeding just as much as my thriving Helis do!

To be fair, the infections don't seem to be downright
harmful (except possibly to baby plants, which they
appear to choke), but they are very unaesthetic.

Can anyone recommend a good preventive ground-cover?
Sphagnum moss does poorly on my Helis (it tends to
burn from the light or fertilizer, or is overwhelmed
by the algae and fungus). I am concerned that other
moss, of the sort that is used for bonsai trees, might
form too tight a mat and block soil respiration.
So, any recommendations?

Thanks in advance-

-Owen

=====