Re: American _Nepenthes_ / Sarr

From: Marcus Rossberg (Marcus.Rossberg@phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de)
Date: Tue Nov 09 1999 - 14:49:12 PST

Date: Tue, 9 Nov 1999 23:49:12 +0100
From: "Marcus Rossberg" <Marcus.Rossberg@phil-fak.uni-duesseldorf.de>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: American _Nepenthes_ / Sarr

> How about a Sarracenia pitcher plant? Mostly green, with narrow
> pitchers (no more than 0.5 cm in diameter--and this time I /really/ do
> mean cm!) about 30 cm long. The pitchers tend to mature to a red-dipped
> appearance, just before the cursed lids burn (they all seem to turn
> brown & die at the tips... maybe short periods of low humidity causes
> this).

Well, that could be anything... a young _S. flava_ (maybe "red tube"
form), some _S. rubra ssp._, _S. oreophila_, or a hybrid.... Do you
have some more details? Any white spots on it? Did it flower already?
What does the lid look like?

BTW of talking about Sarrs... does anybody have some _S. minor x
leucophylla_ seed to spare (i.e. trade of course)? I have to admit
having seen the picture in Peter d'Amatos book and fell in love right
from the spot... I'm lacking a mature _S. leucophylla_ so I can't
produce it myself, and of course I can't wait (as usuall, as some of you
know...).

Happy growing,
Marcus