RE: Drosera graminifolia type - Tissue Culture ?

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Sun Nov 07 1999 - 13:17:20 PST

Date: Sun, 7 Nov 1999 16:17:20 -0500
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Drosera graminifolia type - Tissue Culture ?

>I'm fortunate enough to have several plants of type D graminifolia
>which I grew from seed from the now almost extinct population......
>and this is not the easiest plant to flower and get
>to produce seed.

I was nosing around the outdoor bogs yesterday and noticed that some D.
graminfolia that I had put outside as test plants (to see if the roots could
survive Atlanta's winters) are throwing up an inflorescence. I ran inside
to the grow room and sure enough, at least one also had an early
inflorescence. I have probably 3 or 4 plants outside that will flower.
Atlanta will get it's first freeze any week now so unfortunately the ones
outside probably won't have time to produce seed. Maybe with luck, the one
in the grow room will. I'm assuming that they do not self pollinate so I'll
try the brush and stroke technique.

These plants are probably 1.5 years old (maybe 2 years), grown from seed
provided by Fernando (thanks!!!!!)

David
Atlanta

P.S. I'm travelling to Puerto Rico this week and won't be responding to
email for a while.