RE: Nepenthes germination

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Mon Oct 18 1999 - 05:17:10 PDT

Date: Mon, 18 Oct 1999 08:17:10 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Nepenthes germination

I can't believe I'm adding something about Nepenthes........

> One person

not me,

>who was very successful gave me his recipe for success.
>He 'borrowed' a tupperware container from his wife, filled it with standard
>mix, soaked it with water, sowed the seed, and sprayed heavily with, I
>think, two different fungicides to prevent damping off. Covered the whole
>thing with plastic wrap and put it under lights in his bedroom.
>Germination and growth was phenomenal. I've got pictures somewhere!
>Anyways, within a few months he was getting pitchers several inches in
>length and needed to transplant the whole mess into larger quarters. He
>transferred them to the garage (carport?) where conditions were slightly
>cooler.

I planted N. alata and ventricosa seed in germination trays with clear
plastic covers about 2 and 1 years ago, respectively. The 2-year old
alata's are nice sized now. They are growing in a mix of 1:1 peat/sand (I
think) and the pot sits in 1/4 inch of water periodically. The lid is
cracked a bit to allow fresh air. I'm not advocating germinating and
growing Nepenthes seedlings this way; it just has worked for me because I'm
not set up to do much with Nepenthes. I have not used fungicides.

It has been quite fun to grow them from seed and I'm hesitant to change
their growing conditions because my dedication to monitoring them closely
isn't as keen as with my other cp's. Maybe some day. For now, they are
happy as a pig wallowing in mud and I plan to leave them alone.

David
Atlanta