Re: red utric bladders

From: Adao Pereira (miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt)
Date: Sun Oct 17 1999 - 11:25:24 PDT

Date: Sun, 17 Oct 1999 19:25:24 +0100
From: "Adao Pereira" <miguelporto@mail.telepac.pt>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: red utric bladders

Hello Hawk & all!

> Indeed, they are RED. I thought I had an answer to this question and it
is
> right here on page 35 (a type of anthocyanin) in my book--CPS of The
West.

But is there any explanation of why did the plant produce this anthocyanin?
It isn't normal, is it?

> Several other refs are implicated as well if you want to know more?!
Also
> you didn't say if your U.v. is growing in a large/small container, how
old it
> is, etc??

The plant is growing in a small aquarium with fluorescent lights, and in a
very acidic water (because of CO2 injection). The plants are far from
healthy in this environment, but this happened here.
Perhaps the low pH caused this? I know that the colour of anthocyanins
varies with the pH. Indeed, some plants exhibit yet purple traps now (in
the opposite way, those I grow outdoors are normal).

Miguel