RE: exasperated

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri Oct 15 1999 - 05:21:03 PDT

Date: Fri, 15 Oct 1999 08:21:03 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: exasperated

>hi guys, i`ve been trying to grow sarras for 2 years now and when the traps
>are relatively new as now ( australia ) they keep falling over in rain or a
>breeze.
>i have grown them in 50/50 sand and peat and am now trying live sphagnum
>only, same result!

Hi Steve,

The same thing happens to some of the Sarr pitchers in my outdoor bogs. I
think two possible reasons might explain this. One, the rhizome does not
get enough support in the media it's in and two, the plants do not get
enough sunlight. For my bogs, the plants only get afternoon sun, which is
why I offer #2. Also, Sarr in nature are often protected from high winds by
the surrounding grasses. Several solutions are possible. You could tie the
pitcher to a support stick, surround the pitchers with a circular support
wire, or move them to a more protected area. I'd also go back to your 50/50
mix.

David
Atlanta