VFTs, Sarrs hardiness

From: Elliot Smith (e.smith@cs.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Mon Oct 11 1999 - 10:25:32 PDT

Date: Mon, 11 Oct 1999 18:25:32 +0100
From: Elliot Smith <e.smith@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: VFTs, Sarrs hardiness

Just to add to the debate on the hardiness of these plants: I've had
both VFTs and several Sarr species (including seedlings) outdoors all
year in Birmingham, UK. I've not suffered any losses, even when the
plants were frozen solid. Temperatures occasionally dropped to around
-6C, and there were a few days when temperatures hovered around 0 for a
while.

Like Bill Tribe, I lag the pots with bubble wrap and put lids or covers
over the top of the plants. The covers are mainly to stop the wind
drying out the plants, rather than to keep out frost. I also keep the
compost a lot drier, though inundations of water occurred when the
weather was wet for several days. I made sure excess water was removed
when frosts were forecast.

Elliot

--
Elliot Smith
School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham