Re: Manmade Species?

From: Barry Meyers-Rice (bamrice@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Sun Oct 10 1999 - 10:14:04 PDT

Date: Sun, 10 Oct 1999 10:14:04 -0700 (PDT)
From: Barry Meyers-Rice <bamrice@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Manmade Species?

I don't want to get too involved in this interesting taxonomical quagmire,
but I wanted to throw out some news about this.

1)Fernando is right on when he noted that D. anglica is thought to be the
result of a cross between D. rotundifolia and D. linearis, which
subsequently experienced a chromosome doubling so it became fertile. In
the December issue of CPN, we will have an interesting article by Don
Schnell in which he talks about the differences betweent D. anglica, and
the (sterile) hybrid D. rotundifolia x D. linearis. Imagine the confusion
you can have, walking around in a Michigan bog, to find yourself
surrounded by D. rotundifolia, D. linearis, D. rotundifolia x D. linearis,
and D. anglica! Don helps sort this out...

2)Ivan mentioned he has an article in the works describing his
experimentation with colchicine. I had very much hoped to include this in
the December issue of CPN, as a nice pairing with Don Schnell's article,
but we ran out of room. So we'll try to shoehorn this article into the
March issue if possible. Ivan's work is *very* interesting!

Barry

Dr. Barry A. Meyers-Rice
Carnivorous Plant Newsletter
Conservation Coeditor