Re: Bugs in my flytraps!

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Sat Oct 09 1999 - 20:10:06 PDT

Date: Sat, 9 Oct 1999 19:10:06 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Bugs in my flytraps!

Hi Phillip,

>I first noticed little black hopping bugs that almost look like fleas
>about 6 weeks ago. Since I first noticed them, they've multiplied
>rapidly. I"m not sure if I should be concerned or not. They don't seem
>to be harming the plants... yet.
>
>Does anyone know what these may be... and if they are specific to either
>the flytrap or to peat moss.... (I've yet to see them in other moss)
>
>and *IF* anyone has a clue.... should I bother getting rid of them...
>and if so, HOW do I get rid of the bug without harming the plants?
>
>Thanks in advance,
>
>Phillip Crane

        These are fungus gnats. Extremely common in cp collections, and
virtually harmless. The larvae can chew and damage the roots of very young
plants, although I've never seen great losses in any of my plants I could
attribute to these critters. While your vft can't catch these critters,
they're great for pings, sundews, terrestrial utrics (they catch the
larvae), small sarrs, Cephalotus, Neps, small vft's, etc. etc. etc. In
other words, don't try and get rid of them using insecticides. For one
thing, they'll almost always come back from unhatched eggs in the peat
moss, or from another nearby pot, and secondly, they're great food for the
rest of your plants. My suggestion, grow a cape sundew alongside your vft,
or a terrestrial Utric in the same pot. This will keep the gnats under
control, and produce healthy happy well fed plants!

Happy growing,

Chris