speaking of Drosera schizandra.

From: Kirk Martin (kirk_martin@harvard.edu)
Date: Thu Oct 07 1999 - 06:19:33 PDT

Date: Thu, 07 Oct 1999 09:19:33 -0400
From: Kirk Martin <kirk_martin@harvard.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: speaking of Drosera schizandra.

My Drosera schizandra is currently reviving having been hit upon by hard
times. The plant was approximately 4" in diameter and seemed to be
prospering. Then one by one starting with the larger leaves first the
leaves would yellow and then dry curling up. This continued until there
was nothing visible left. The plants had been growing under fluorescent
lights 14-16 hours per day 65-80 F temperatures and sitting in 1/2-1" of
water in a tray. The soil mix was 3 peat moss: 1 perlite: 1 vermiculite

Approximately three weeks ago, I noticed two new plants were popping out of
the ground (roots as they had never flowered) and look a quite healthy
green. They are currently 2" in diameter.

Any one have any guesses as to what happened. Richard Davion mentioned
that these critters come from Mount Bartle Frere (schizandra). Is there a
dormancy requirement of some type or did rot attempt to kill these
off. Any suggestions are welcome.
Kirk W. Martin R.S.
Associate Biosafety/Sanitation Officer
Harvard University