Re: Sarracenia growing outdoors in Quebec

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Sun Sep 26 1999 - 07:38:00 PDT

Date:    Sun, 26 Sep 99 10:38 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia growing outdoors in Quebec

Dear Andrew,

   I would try all of them, at least once, in a home-made bog.

> Which of our many species of Sarracenia would do as well as S. purpurea
> purpurea (besides the heterophylla form) in growing outdoors in Quebec? I
> realize Quebec is a large place, but just for laughs... any ideas?

   It's really quite odd, but the one your probably have the
worst results with is also a purp. _Sarracenia purpurea venosa
burkei_ bearly manages to flower here in Jersey so I doubt you
would ever see flowers up there, maybe the whole plant would
die too. Most other species are quite hardy. (Hardy means for
plant to be able to survive freezing conditions, not with how
robust it grows or appears)

Dave Evans