Re: Dish gardens

From: Andrew Bate (cp@astilla.demon.co.uk)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 10:56:28 PDT

Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 18:56:28 +0100
From: Andrew Bate <cp@astilla.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Dish gardens

On Wed, 8 Sep 1999 08:24:15 -0700, Elliot Smith
<e.smith@cs.bham.ac.uk> wrote:

>I wouldn't recommend terracotta pots for CPs: the fact they have
to >stand in water means that you get all sorts of slimes and algae
growing >on the outside of the pots (I've seen this on garden centre
CP pots). I >grow all my plants in plastic pots, which stay cleaner
and probably >harbour less diseases.

I use terracotta pots for Darlingtonia and find them to be very
good. The porous pot allows some evaporation through the pot and
possibly assists in keeping the root system cool.

This is the only species I do use terracotta for though - for the
same reasons as you mention above.

Regards,

Andrew -- Andrew Bate | Various CP's for sale -
http://www.astilla.demon.co.uk Worcester, UK | UK CP Resources -
http://www.astilla.demon.co.uk/cpuk