re: pond sarrs

From: Seos mac Cárthaigh (Seos@NUIGALWAY.IE)
Date: Wed Sep 08 1999 - 09:41:27 PDT

Date: Wed, 08 Sep 1999 16:41:27 +0000 (GMT)
From: Seos mac Cárthaigh <Seos@NUIGALWAY.IE>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: pond sarrs

Hi just a note on this

I have two ponds side by side - the newer larger one is fed from the
down pipe from the roof guttering. So the water is ordinary rain
water, this pond over-flows into the second smaller one. Where they
come together I have a very narrow strip of vegetation to hide the
liner. This is covered in pieces of bark and peat turf. In the peat
I have a number of Sarracenia purpurea, and a few bits of live
sphagnum (which hopefully will spread). The plants have been there
for about 6 months - so far they are doing well. The marginal area
of the pond contains alot of peat (acid). Around the young
reedmace plants, bog cotton, etc, I have put in some composted grass
cuttings, also of high pH but with lots of nutrients.

The water is clear, but there are patches of blanket weed, and the
various aquatic plants and water-lillies are doing very well. So I
presume there is a reasonable level of nutrients available. In
amongst the reedmace I have put in excess Sarr seedlings, I'll just
see how they do.

This area is designed to look very natural - a series of ponds on a
woodland edge. The Sarrs look very well in the setting.

regards

Seosamh
Seos mac Carthaigh
Gaillimh