Re: Drosera slackii

From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Tue Aug 31 1999 - 08:53:55 PDT

Date: Tue, 31 Aug 1999 15:53:55 +0000
From: schlauer@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Drosera slackii

Dear Steve,

> I think that Adrian Slack 'found' the species now know as
> Drosera slackii on an expedition to South Africa,
> presumably somewhere in the highland areas,

It was Frank Woodvine, not Adrian Slack, AFAIK.

> as it was
> initially known as Drosera 'Highland Red', whilst waiting
> for the taxonomists to give it an official botanical name.

No. It was initially called D. debbertii (cf. a specimen examined
and labelled by A.A. Obermeyer-Mauve in PRE), and while this name
was about to be validated, Adrian Slack created his fancy (but never
established) cultivar name. The name _D. slackii_ appeared when the
official publication of "D. debbertii" was in press (it was finally
withdrawn because it would have created a useless synonym).

Kind regards
Jan