Cedar water

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Mon Aug 30 1999 - 19:41:24 PDT

Date: Mon, 30 Aug 1999 18:41:24 -0800
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Cedar water

Hi everyone,

        Was collecting rainwater from the roof of the house today and
noticed that it has a definite brownish tinge due to the cedar shingles
leaching out their tannins. The shingles have never been treated with
preservative, paint, etc., however I know that some evergreens will secrete
inhibitory substances to prevent the growth of other competetive seedlings.
My question then, has anyone found use of rainwater collected from cedar
shingled houses to have inhibitory effects on the growth of their cp's?
TIA!

Happy growing,

Chris