Winter Hardiness

From: Jason Ashley (jasona@warwick.net)
Date: Sat Aug 28 1999 - 21:14:00 PDT

Date: Sun, 29 Aug 1999 00:14:00 -0400
From: "Jason Ashley" <jasona@warwick.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Winter Hardiness

This past winter I kept two planters in my unheated garage. These
planters held S. purpurea, rubra, flava, oreophilia; drosera
binata; and VFTs. I also kept 2 very small (and poorly insulated)
leucophylla in the garage and they did freeze solid a few times. At
no time did I expect them to survive through the winter but I was
quite amazed that both did and though they came up late, they are
now strong and happy. Binata seedlings were all over the place and
frankly, in my collection, it's a weed (along with U. cornuta which
also survived). Though I made no effort to keep these weedy
specimens alive they survived as seedlings through very cold winters
(USDA zone 5).

It is my considered belief that though the planters and the
individual pots froze solid it was much more important that the
plants were protected from frost and wind. That something so
warm-loving as leucophylla survived with no protection except from
frost and wind during a winter that saw sub 0 F temperatures for
weeks is very impressive though keep in mind hardiness of parents
helps a lot too.

Good luck!

Jason Ashley Warwick, NY

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]