Re: SF visit

From: Sean Barry (sjbarry@ucdavis.edu)
Date: Wed Aug 25 1999 - 14:48:21 PDT

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 14:48:21 -0700 (PDT)
From: Sean Barry <sjbarry@ucdavis.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: SF visit

On Wed, 25 Aug 1999, Mellard, David wrote:

> I'll be in San Francisco this Sunday and plan to visit California
> Carnivores. I would like to visit a stand of Darlingtonia if it's within
> driving distance. I only have Sunday afternoon and evening. I promise not
> to take plants, although some seed might end up in my pocket.

The nearest is about 5 hours from SF (Nevada County), and the last I heard
at least part is on (inaccessible) private land. The best (IMO) is in
Butterfly Valley botanic reserve, Plumas County, but it's about 6-7 hours
from SF. Neither site is easy to find. Also, it's probably too early to
collect seed, definitely too early in Butterfly Valley. There are other
sites in Shasta, Siskiyou Counties, but these are 9-12 hours from SF. If
all you have is an afternoon and evening, you might potpone to a more
opportune time. California Carnivores, OTOH, will be more than worth the
time, but you must have faith when you reach the winery that there really
is a nursery back there. Follow the signs....

Sean Barry