Re: Quakes and Cps

From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
Date: Wed Aug 25 1999 - 13:28:43 PDT

Date: Wed, 25 Aug 1999 16:28:43 EDT
From: CALIFCARN@aol.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Quakes and Cps

Howdy kids: Peter here at California Carnivores.
      I'm glad to hear the carnivores in Istanbul survived the earthquake. We
had a 5.0 nearby in Bolinas on the evening of the Turkey quake. I was home
and nearly had a heart attack, even though I've been through many rockers.
The only casualty was a large pot of Sarracenia flava 'ornata' that was on my
deck's railing. It fell off and got pretty smashed, landing on concrete! Poor
thang. There was no damage at the nursery. Once we had a quake while I was in
the greenhouse and it was not unlike what I imagine a wagon train ride would
be, on very bumpy terrain.
     I've seen the comments on N. northiana soils. I successfully grew this
plant in a mix of sand, vermiculite, perlite and lava rock for several years,
until it was stolen. For the past 3 years I've had one in a mix more typical
of other nepenthes: fine bark, perlite, lava rock, vermiculite and a little
sphagnum. The plant's doing fine, but has been slow this year due to the
colder winter we had.
    I saw the first of the U-Haul trucks with the flytraps and pitcher plant
on them and they look pretty cool!
     Th-th-th-that's all folks! Peter