N. northiana soil recipes

From: Owen Priddle (owen_prid@yahoo.com)
Date: Mon Aug 23 1999 - 00:33:20 PDT

Date: Mon, 23 Aug 1999 00:33:20 -0700 (PDT)
From: Owen Priddle <owen_prid@yahoo.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. northiana soil recipes

Hello everyone!

Can anyone give me feedback on what soil mixes seem to work well for N.
northiana? I am receiving several specimens but many of my sources seem
to be contradictory with regards to what soil recipes work the best.

In particular many of them disagree about whether it is necessary or
not to exclude acidic components (especially peat and fir bark, which
are the only organic components in my usual Nepenthes mix) from the
recipe.
Some authorities state that in the wild and in culture they will only
grow and thrive in alkaline, largely inorganic soils, while others
claim that in their native habitat they grow in organic soils on TOP of
limestone, and that peat is acceptable and beneficial in culture.

Opinions and experiences are greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

-Owen