N. ventricosa pruning

From: T. Williams (tim@jint.jasco.co.jp)
Date: Tue Aug 17 1999 - 23:05:19 PDT

Date: Wed, 18 Aug 1999 15:05:19 +0900
From: "T. Williams" <tim@jint.jasco.co.jp>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: N. ventricosa pruning

Hi CP'ers,

I have two five year old (thereabouts) N. ventricosa that now grow at
the end of about 7-10cm of bare stalk. The plants have hereto shown no
tendency to produce basal shoots, but I feel the time has come to try
some encouragement.

I suspect that losing the long and initially thin stems would improve
future growth, as it does with my N. alatas, which are prolific basal
shooters (?). Before giving "the chop", do any members have advice they
can offer on the likely outcome, or for other less drastic steps, for
example removing only the top growing end of the plant but leaving most
of the leaves and pitchers intact? Or, should I just accept the stem
and grow the plant as a vine?

If successful I want to try the same with an ampullaria which also has
this long bare stem.

I welcome sage advice on the matter!

Tim Williams.