Purple Pitcher Plant?

From: Ken Skau (ken.skau@uc.edu)
Date: Fri Aug 13 1999 - 09:01:33 PDT

Date: Fri, 13 Aug 1999 12:01:33 -0400
From: Ken Skau <ken.skau@uc.edu>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Purple Pitcher Plant?

 Susan Ziegler wrote:

>I bought this oddly named plant from an HQ store. It has no trace of
purple on it as of yet.. the pitchers are attached to the leaves and they
are about 2 inches tall.. what kind of cp is this and what conditions does
it need?

About a year ago I bought plant labeled Purple Pitcher Plant from a similar
"super store". It clearly is not a S. purpurea but a species of Nepenthes.
I have not yet been able to identify what species. The pitchers grow to
about 6 cm and the upper 2/3 of the pitchers are kind of a rose to red
color which may have led to it being called a "Purple Pitcher Plant". The
tendril from the leaf to the pitcher is very short (3-4 cm) and does not
form a loop. I have looked at many different pictures of Nepenthes at
various web sites but have not found one that looks like this plant. I
suspect that it may be a hybrid. Mine is planted in orchid bark and kept
in an east facing window in a terrarium to maintain humidity. I gave it no
artificial light last winter and it seemed to do fine.

Kind Regards,

Ken Skau