Re: Re: Help identifying Nepenthes

From: Dave Evans (T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU)
Date: Wed Aug 11 1999 - 20:28:00 PDT

Date:    Wed, 11 Aug 99 23:28 EDT
From: Dave Evans                           <T442119@RUTADMIN.RUTGERS.EDU>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Re: Help identifying Nepenthes

Hi Perry and Steve,

> >I have had an undentified species of Nepenthes ....
> >Surely there must be someone out there who could take a stab at
> >identification? I've posted a few photos at
> > http://sun3.lib.uci.edu/~sclancy/cp.htm
>
> Are you sure it's a species and not a hybrid? I checked out
> the pictures, and three possibilities came to my mind: N. ventricosa,
> N. burkeii, or N. x ventrata (ventricosa x alata).
> I compared the pictures against my ventricosa and ventrata, and I've
> found differences which might rule them out. But they're close. I
> don't have burkeii.

   I could tell better if the whole rosette were shown in the photos,
Steve. If the leaves are an even width the whole way, except right
at the end where the tendril starts, then I would guess that you
have N.ventricosa. If they are bowed--thicker in the middle--then
you surely have a hybrid.
   Perry, if's N.* ventrata, then it's not a F1 hybrid, but would
have to be crossed back again with ventricosa.

Dave Evans