Re: One MORE last VFT pollination question.

From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
Date: Wed Aug 11 1999 - 08:21:30 PDT

Date:          Wed, 11 Aug 1999 08:21:30
From: SCHLAUER@chemie.uni-wuerzburg.de
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject:       Re: One MORE last VFT pollination question.

Dear Chris,

> Sorry to fuss here, but would the dentate forms be fertile?

The clones I know are fertile.

> And is there any visual
> difference between a fertile VFT flower and a sterile one?

Yes: the sterile one does not set seed ;-)

I would propose to try and pollinate all available flowers. At least
some of them should be fertile. AFAIK, there is no entirely sterile
clone of _Dionaea_ (fortunately, the _Dionaea_ flower is not
particularly spectacular, so ambitioned breeders did not aim at "flore
pleno" variants yet). Of course it is possible to "cultivate" the
plants in a way they will not survive, and hence they will remain
sterile for practical purposes. But this is not the plants' fault.

Kind regards
Jan