Leaf Cuttings

From: chris (drosera@CAM.ORG)
Date: Tue Aug 10 1999 - 08:00:46 PDT

Date: Tue, 10 Aug 1999 11:00:46 -0400
From: "chris" <drosera@CAM.ORG>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Leaf Cuttings

Hi Amy,

I reproduce many of my droseras by leaf cuttings, and find it quite
easy to do. According to what I have heard, you should take lower
leaves because they are older and have more energy reserves in them.
I like to cut them as close to the stem as possible, but I don't
take a piece of the stem with it. Then I lay them out flat on top
of the peat moss. I try to get as much of the leaf in contact with
the ground as possible. Typically, bit by bit, the petiole does
start turning brown. I usually cut off most of the brown part, but
I leave a little so I don't waste any living green tissue. I
usually find that within a month, the little green buds start
appearing. I could see it taking longer though. As long as you
have something green left, keep waiting. Mould is a bit of a
problem for me here, so I am considering using live moss in the
future, which also seems to provide a more encompassing humidity.

The above has worked well for me with D. Intermedia, D.Capensis,
and D. Adelae. A book I have says that D. Aliciae will not
produce plantlets in this fashion. I tried anyways, but never got
any plantlets. For this species, you might want to try root
cuttings instead. I'm on my first attempt on this with this
species, so if you'd like, I could keep you posted. Root cuttings
worked beautifully when I tried it with D. Adelae.

Chris F.

  Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:29:59 -0400 From: "Amy E. Ritchie"
  <carnivorous_plant@juno.com> To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com Subject:
  Leaf cuttings didn't work! Message-ID:
  <19990809.102959.20494.0.carnivorous_plant@juno.com>

  I cut some leaves off of a bunch of different sundews: D.
  capensis, D. adelae, D. slackii, D. aliciae, and D.
  intermedia. I had read a book that showed in pictures how to cut
  and plant them, and then it said in a few weeks little baby plants
  should be growing from them. I laid them top-down on some peat
  moss, kept the humidity hight, and here it is, atleast a month
  later, and nothing has happened. All the leaves are just brown
  and shriveled up. Why is this?? I read that some sundews won't
  reproduce this way, but it said D. capensis would.

  Amy

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]