Re: Leaf cuttings didn't work!

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Mon Aug 09 1999 - 10:00:14 PDT

Date: Mon, 9 Aug 1999 10:00:14 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Leaf cuttings didn't work!

Hi Amy,

        Except for D.slackii, leaf cuttings should work for all the other
sundews you mention. A really really easy way to get them to form new
plants is to simply float the leaves in a small container of water (yogurt
container or petri dish) and leave them in a bright area. I've had some
leaves turn completely brown, but they still form new plantlets. I've had
some take over two months to do this too. So don't give up on your
cuttings yet!

Good luck,

Chris

 On Mon, 9 Aug 1999, Amy E. Ritchie wrote:

> I cut some leaves off of a bunch of different sundews: D. capensis, D.
> adelae, D. slackii, D. aliciae, and D. intermedia. I had read a book that
> showed in pictures how to cut and plant them, and then it said in a few
> weeks little baby plants should be growing from them. I laid them
> top-down on some peat moss, kept the humidity hight, and here it is,
> atleast a month later, and nothing has happened. All the leaves are just
> brown and shriveled up. Why is this?? I read that some sundews won't
> reproduce this way, but it said D. capensis would.
>
> Amy

Chris Teichreb
Department of Biological Sciences
Simon Fraser University