re: VFT plantlet on flower stalk & Colchicine

From: Nigel Hurneyman (NHURNEYM@UK.oracle.com)
Date: Wed Jul 28 1999 - 06:06:51 PDT

Date: 28 Jul 1999 14:06:51 +0100
From: "Nigel Hurneyman" <NHURNEYM@UK.oracle.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: re: VFT plantlet on flower stalk & Colchicine

Hi Paul,

Variety being the spice of life, my two pence worth.

I say chop the plantlet off now, without any stalk, and try to root
it.

Flower stalks are programmed to die when flowering and seed
production is complete so the longer you leave it, the greater the
chance of the 'kill yourself' signal having been sent.

You can get lots of plantlets by chopping off VFT flower stalks and
planting them in some way - in my experience plantlet production is
better the sooner you do it. If you leave it until after the first
flower opens, plantlet production is a lot poorer.

Sean seems to be a relatively lone voice in stressing the dangers of
Colchicine, so I would like to reinforce his message. If you really
really really must use this stuff, please make sure you know what
safety precautions to adopt and follow them to the letter.

Regards, NigelH