Flower stalk plantlets

From: Elliot Smith (e.smith@cs.bham.ac.uk)
Date: Tue Jul 27 1999 - 03:55:03 PDT

Date: Tue, 27 Jul 1999 11:55:03 +0100
From: Elliot Smith <e.smith@cs.bham.ac.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Flower stalk plantlets

Following on from recent posts about VFTs with plants on the flower
stalks, I'd like to mention similar things happening with my Drosera
capensis plants. Two have plantlets growing from flower buds on the end
of the scape.

I wonder whether anyone has tried layering these (i.e. sticking the end
of the scape into a pot of peat:sand and keeping it moist). Presumably,
this should work OK, and once rooted can be cut from the parent. Or is
it simpler to just pull them off and let them fend for themselves?

By the way, I also had Pinguicula primuliflora producing plantlets from
a severed flower stalk. These I just pulled off and they rooted when
pushed into normal medium.

Elliot

--
Elliot Smith
School of Computer Science, University of Birmingham