Re: perlite for VFTs

From: Christensen (chrst@srv.net)
Date: Mon Jul 26 1999 - 20:29:11 PDT

Date: Mon, 26 Jul 1999 21:29:11 -0600
From: "Christensen" <chrst@srv.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: perlite for VFTs

Hi,
I still have 3 happy looking VFTs!
Mostly, the perlite has stayed white or grey- no mineral buildup.

A word of caution: don't try to pull out dead leaves.
The dead petioles and leaves, on my plants, didn't rot away and the
fleshy bases of the petioles stayed alive and attached. I tried yanking
out some of the dead petioles but I accidently pulled up the whole plant.
Carefully, I replanted it. Then, I used my tiny scissors and cut off the
ends of the dead petioles. I'm sure that the plant would prefer to keep
the bases of its petioles.

I put a piece of a 'B' VFT into a micropropagation jar. Now, the media is
contaminated with bacteria. The explant may be alive. I've had other
explants covered by the same contaminant, but caused no visible harm to
the explant.