Metal, Plants & Books...

From: Jack Elder (Jack.Elder@gtl.com)
Date: Tue Jul 20 1999 - 07:52:57 PDT

Date: Tue, 20 Jul 1999 15:52:57 +0100
From: "Jack Elder" <Jack.Elder@gtl.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Metal, Plants & Books...

> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 17:14:47 -0500
> From: "Joe Harden" <jharden@txdirect.net>
> To: <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
> Subject: Hallide Light
[metal halide lamps]
> www.diamondlights.com made the light, but they do not sell to individuals,
> so I bought mine from a local store called Planet K; they
> specilize in hemp
> goods, Dirty magazines, Body Tatooing & piercing, and other various
> colorfull things.... I wonder if the sales clerk thinks I am weird for
> growing carnivorous plants...But I think he is weird because he can't walk
> through a metal detector at the airport without setting it off
> (if you know
> what I mean...he displays their body peircing merchandise).

Hi Joe;

Yeah, often you find that the cross-over between growing CPs indoors and
growing... other plants ... indoors is quite interesting. I seem to recall
that the best place to buy indoor grow lamps and/or Superthrive in Auckland
(NZ) was the local 'Everything you need to grow plants which definitely
aren't marijuana, honest' shop. But you'd be surprised by the people who
grow CPs without you realising... my old piercer (Hamish at Flesh Wound in
Wellington - highly recommended, btw) used to ask me for advice about
pollinating the flowers in his cactus collection. I myself have been
growing CPs for about four years, and getting pierced for about five. Some
of those of us with more holes in our bodies than we started out with grow
CPs too! ;) Though I'm not sure I'd want to get a tattoo at a place that
also sold large amounts of hemp by-products - I like to know that my
tattooist _isn't_ stoned when I'm under the needle. Haven't got any CP
tattoos yet, but I've got some plans for a few pieces coming up... ;)

> Date: Mon, 19 Jul 1999 18:11:20 -0400
> From: "chris" <drosera@CAM.ORG>
> To: <cp@opus.hpl.hp.com>
> Subject: Dividing S. Psittacina, book suggestions
[snip]
> Also, the only book I have on CPs is "Carnivorous Plants of the
> World" by James and Patricia Pietropaolo. I'd like to get another
> book now, more advanced than that one (but within a reasonable price
> range, up to 50$ U.S.) I'm looking for more information on each
> species. If any of you have ever seen the "Baensch Aquarium Atlas",
> that is more the type of book I'm looking for. But I'll take other
> ideas as well.

Hi Chris;

If you're trying to keep the cost under US$50, you're basically limited to
book still in print. Of these, probably the best to suit your needs would
be Peter D'Amato's _The Savage Garden_ (available in scads of different
places, including from the man himself and online from Amazon). While I'm
not sure if it's the equivalent of the book you mention (which I assume is a
pretty comprehensive survey of species, habitats, care instructions etc),
it's certainly a damn good book for the price, and probably the best
value-for-money general CP book easily available (in English, anyway).
Definitely worth a look.

Also, if you're into Drosera or Utricularia, you should definitely acquire a
copy of Allan Lowrie's _Carnivorous Plants of Australia Vol III_. This is
an extremely good survey of species, habitats etc - however, it only covers
Australian species, and not all of those (vols I and II being required for
the complete set). And at about $59.95, it's probably a little over your
price range.

In the out of print stakes: top recommendations would be either of Adrian
Slack's books (_Carnivorous Plants_ and _Insect-Eating Plants and How to
Grow Them_) and Gordon Cheers' _Carnivorous Plants of the World_. All
excellent, comprehensive books; the Slack books are a little dated, but
they're still sound, and the Cheers book is nicely comprehensive and has
wonderful photography. However, caveat emptor: these are all now quite
hard to find, and you can expect to pay quite a bit of cash for them.

Hope this has been of some help;

Jack