Rpygmy/tuberous Drosera soil mix

From: Andrew Marshall (andrewm@olywa.net)
Date: Sat Jul 10 1999 - 10:00:57 PDT

Date: Sat, 10 Jul 1999 10:00:57 -0700
From: "Andrew Marshall" <andrewm@olywa.net>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Rpygmy/tuberous Drosera soil mix

HI Dave,
    Yes, you are right you say it seems that some of these seem more
difficult to grow here in the US then down under. After finally getting the
hang of it, I think it is because in part we do not follow the particular
rythems of the plant exactly enough. We treat them to much like other
Drosera. From here on I will mainly talk on Tuberous D. as I was still
getting the hang of the pygmies.
    As a soil mix I used 70/30 ultra-fine quartz sand/peat with a piece of
coffee filter in the bottom of the pot to keep the soil mix in. This is for
both types and seemed to work for the 30 odd pygmies and 50 odd tuberous I
had. I was assured that it would work for all of them, and in fact I have
successfully grown nearly all of them at one time over the past 10 years in
this mix. I was getting confident enough in fact that I was actually this
year going to bring a 5 gallon bucket of laterite soil back from one of my
many field trips to use instead on some species and see the results.
    In tuberous D. the important thing is the drying out cycle. They need
to go through it rather slowly. Take a couple of months to dry them out and
a month or so to wet them again. I lost more to following the instructions
so frequently given, ie, when they start to die back, dry them out, when
they sprout again stick them back in the water. If you do this, they often
don't come back, or if they do will rot right off.
    As to germination methods... for tuberous I simply spread them on the
surface and let the rain and cold do the job. It seems after a few months
of this they germinate. Not very controlled though and you do need to make
sure the pots don't flood or the seds will be washed away. Personally I
prefer to get the tubers as the seedlings are to time consuming and touchy
to be fun dealing with. I never know if they are going dormant or really
dieing. Too damn small to tell until it is too late!
    Hope this helps.
    Best wishes
    Andrew