Drosera germination

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri Jul 09 1999 - 06:56:52 PDT

Date: Fri, 9 Jul 1999 09:56:52 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Drosera germination

I recently received seed of pygmy, tuberous, and petiolaris complex drosera
from Allan Lowrie and would like advice on the best method to use for
germinating them. Lowrie suggests several methods. First, the smoke method
using a BBQ and peat. I used the smoke method on some Drosera some time ago
and got about 50% of the species to germinate. Lowrie also suggests a
method of soaking the seed in smoke water. I can use that method since I
already have some smoke filters, although it does seem rather tedious once
you get germination and have to transfer lots of seed to pots. I suppose
the GA3 method might work, too.

I opened one of the packets and was able to count the number of seeds in a
few milliseconds, so it's not possible to divide the seed up and use several
methods. I'd appreciate advice on which method you think is the best based
on your experiences.

Also, Lowrie suggests using pure, sieved peat moss as a mix, although he
does mention 50/50 peat/sand for the petiolaris complex. The pure peat
suggestion doesn't seem right to me for the tuberous and pygmy drosera.
Since so many of them come from soil based on laterite or sand (as opposed
to the peat based soil we expect for so many drosera). I'd like to hear
(probably again) what people are using with success for their tuberous and
pygmy drosera. I've read that some of the Australian drosera are difficult
to grow in the US. I wonder if the problem is the difference in minerology
of the Australian soil and trying to grow them in mixes that might be
missing certain minerals that they have evolved to depend upon.

Thanks in advance,
David
Atlanta