Feeding CP's

From: chris (drosera@CAM.ORG)
Date: Thu Jul 08 1999 - 08:07:38 PDT

Date: Thu, 8 Jul 1999 11:07:38 -0400
From: "chris" <drosera@CAM.ORG>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Feeding CP's

Hi.

Okay, So like most people in the world, I am a hypocrite, since I
also eat meat, but I just don't want to forcibly torture or kill an
animal if I really don't have to. Even if that animal is just an
insect. My smaller plants do get their fair share of fungus gnats
and so on, but my bigger ones rarely get any food at all. I grow
all my plants indoors. I was just wondering if there was a way that
would be easier on my sensibilities.

I don't want to deprive my plants of what nature has deemed they
need, I was just wondering if there were any other options, that's
all. That's just the way I feel about it, I guess.

Thanks.

Chris F.

You picked the wrong hobby then ;)! Seriously, these plants capture
lots and lots of live creatures naturally, so why would you want to
change this in cultivation? If you've grown your plants outside,
you'll know just how effective they can be. Sarrs overflow with
hornets, flies, etc., Drosera will catch tons of fungus gnats. You
can't honestly say you're upset when your plants catch insects like
mosquitoes now, can you? If so, see line one :)!

Just so you know, fish flakes are composed primarily of fish meal,
so you're still feeding your plants animals. A lot of fertilizers,
which are the main alternative to insects, are fish based as well.

If it's just the idea of feeding mammals to your plants that grosses
you out, try the various insects available at pet stores including
mealworms and crickets. Fruit flies are easily bred and Drosera,
Pings, etc. love them. Just stick them in the fridge (the flies)
to slow them down first.

Happy growing,

Chris

[HTML file part2 deleted by listprocessor]