Re:CP Temp

From: William M. Gorum, Jr. (wgorum@softdisk.com)
Date: Wed Jul 07 1999 - 13:00:46 PDT

Date: Wed, 07 Jul 1999 15:00:46 -0500
From: "William M. Gorum, Jr." <wgorum@softdisk.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re:CP Temp

 Hey Listmembers!
I have another question for y'all. I'm in the final stages of setting
up my new terrarium. Thanks for all of the wonderful advice I've been
given. I really appreciate it. I've finally succeeded in regulating
the humidity at 90% on average. Now I have a temperature question. I'm
trying to save myself some money here, but I don't know if I will be
able to, so I need some suggestions. I purchased two twin tube
lightstrips that are three feet (90 cm) long. I wasn't paying attention
when I bought them because they have ballasts that are contained in the
housing. I forgot to take into consideration the heat that the ballasts
would produce. The max temp in the tank is 95 F during the day and the
min temp is 75 F at night. Is that too great of a temp fluctuation? Is
that 95 too hot for the plants? I know it is for my highland Neps so I
have those in a terrarium by themselves. If that temp is too high, do
you have any suggestions on how to cool it down? The only feasible
option I see is to buy new light strips with remote ballasts that I can
put under the tank, but those are extremely expensive, and I'm trying to
avoid that if at all possible, but if I must buy them, then c'est la
vie, I'll go get them. As always, any information will be greatly
appreciated!
Thanks,
Will Gorum
wgorum@softdisk.com