Re: Ping answers

From: John Green (HPJGREEN@ihc.com)
Date: Thu Jul 01 1999 - 14:53:03 PDT

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 15:53:03 -0600
From: "John Green" <HPJGREEN@ihc.com>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Ping answers

Thanks to those who responded both publicly and privately on my ping
questions, particularly Loyd Wix.

>First of all P.hirtiflora = P.crystallina ssp hirtiflora a pretty
>little plant of the northeastern Mediterranean region. Do you know
>which location in Albania your plants come from?

I believe it is from Kelcyre, Albania. I obtained it from Kamil Pasek
in the Czeck Republic. I currently have the P. hirtiflora and the P.
Sethos x gypsicola growing together in a small pot. The soil is
peat/sand mixed (I don't remember the approx. ratio) and a top covering
of live spaghnum. I also keep them covered to increase humidty, in a
bright window. They all seem to be doing fine so I'd hesitate to change
it. But if I understand you correctly, the hirtiflora may need a
dormancy, and the Sethos x gypsicola will not (I think both species are
from Mexico)? What do you recommend? Also, as I plan on adding to my
ping collection, what are some good ones to try for the ping beginner?

Thanks again,
John Green
Salt Lake City, Utah