Re: P.villosa - difficult!

From: Juerg Steiger (juerg.steiger@iae.unibe.ch)
Date: Thu Jul 01 1999 - 10:51:58 PDT

Date: Thu, 01 Jul 1999 19:51:58 +0200
From: Juerg Steiger <juerg.steiger@iae.unibe.ch>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: P.villosa - difficult!

Hi Filippo, Loyd Wix, ChrisTeichreb and other P. villosists

I also believed that P. villosa is a long-day plant and that my earlier
cultivation failures were due to insufficient day length. In the meanwhile
Jan Schlauer has found literature clearly showing P. villosa from North
Corea at 42 degree N which is at the same latitude as e.g. Rome or Boston.
Since 4 years I cultivate P. villosa from Scandinavia and Siberia in a
cooled setting where temperature does not exceed 18 Celsius even in full
sun, at 47 degree N without artificial day length extension. But I agree
that this species needs much sun and is - as also P. variegata and algida -
really very delicate to cultivate.

>I think this species would need both wide ranges in light and in
>temperature to grow successfully. It just may be one of those plants best
>enjoyed in nature, as you may grow old with frustration trying to
>cultivate it :)!

Right! I I'd really be some years younger without this species ;-). Juerg

Juerg F. Steiger MD
Institute for Medical Education IAWF
University of Bern, Faculty of Medicine
Inselspital 37a