RE: maintaining correct humidity in a tank

From: Mellard, David (dam7@cdc.gov)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 11:30:38 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 14:30:38 -0400
From: "Mellard, David" <dam7@cdc.gov>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: maintaining correct humidity in a tank

The computer fan in the cp terrarium broke months ago and while it's on the
list to replace, it's closer to the bottom than the top of the list. By all
accounts, the cp's and orchids should be dead because the top of the
terrarium is covered in glass with only small spaces for ventilation. I'm
no longer sure if the air pump is working either.

I attribute their survival to a bottom layer of charcoal covered by a mix
that's full of charcoal (and perlite) and possibly live sphagnum. Now watch
me come back next week moaning about all the dead cp's because I've bragged
about them.

The more I learn about cp's the more I realize how much little factors
concerning husbandry can affect the survival of cp's under our care.
Sometimes I think we realize (or guess) what those factors are (as I'm doing
with the charcoal) and readily pass them on; other times I think we miss
out which ones are actually the key. That's not meant as a criticism to
anything anyone has said about this or other subjects but rather an
observation (or guess) about all the successful ways that I see people using
to grow cp's.

It must be tough for a beginner to decide what to do or even an experienced
grower who has decided to try a new species or new method.

David
Atlanta