RE: Barley Straw explanation

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Fri Jun 25 1999 - 10:09:24 PDT

Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 10:09:24 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: RE: Barley Straw explanation

Hi David,

> > Yes, a mixture of numerous organic carbon compounds. Essentially,
> >dissolved organic carbon is any carbon which is smaller than 0.45um in
> >diameter. Don't ask me why that size was chosen, it just was.
>
> Gez, this is taking me back a few decades, which means if I remember
> correctly, 0.45 um is the pore size used to filter solutions to sterilize
> them. Might that be a reason?

        Possibly, I really don't know for sure. I know nowadays we use
0.22um filters for sterilizing solutions. When I work with bacteria, the
majority are caught on this size filter. The 0.45um one still lets up to
50% of them get through. Then there are the viruses, we use 0.02um ones
for those guys. Good thing it's only 1ml of water we filter!

Regards,

Chris