Re: D. pulchella growth?

From: Chris Teichreb (cjteichr@sfu.ca)
Date: Thu Jun 24 1999 - 14:54:16 PDT

Date: Thu, 24 Jun 1999 14:54:16 -0700 (PDT)
From: Chris Teichreb <cjteichr@sfu.ca>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: D. pulchella growth?

Hi Christer,

> Hi,
>
> Some time ago I noticed that one of my D. pulchella seed had germinated.
> The seedling is now approx. 4 mm across, and has three leaves.
>
> Does anyone know how large it must be before it can produce gemmae?

        Not completely familiar with this species, but the few pygmies I
do grow usually have at least 8 leaves and are about 7mm across. I think
it depends a lot more on light and moisture levels though.

> I've read that gemmae is more reliable than seed, but does gemmae
> germinate quicker too?

        Never tried it from seed. Gemmae germinates from about 2 days to
2 weeks for me.

> Is there a difference in growth rate (after germination) between
> gemmae and seed?

        Gemmae are much faster at growing.

> Regards,
>
> --