U.reniformis

From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
Date: Tue Jun 22 1999 - 15:16:25 PDT

Date: Tue, 22 Jun 1999 23:16:25 +0100
From: loyd.wix@talk21.com
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: U.reniformis

Dear Tommy,

I will attempt to answer your questions on U.reniformis. The leaves
of the plant give rise to the plants name (reniform = kidney
shaped), and these are held in a horizontal plain on top of stalks
which arise vertically from the substrate.( Thus like kidney shaped
umbrellas). It is hard to give you a precise indication as to the
size of the plant as this species is quite variable in size. In the
UK there appear to be two quite different clones in circulation, a
large clone with leaves up to 14cms across and flower stalks up to
1meter high, and a smaller clone (previous circulated as
U.nephrophylla) with leaves up to 6cms across. No matter which
clone you have it is a beautiful plant when in flower and the leaves
are\377 20unusual enough to be worth growing. I have not tried to
propagate this species from sections of stolon which are substantial
enough to confused with tubers if only partially uncovered - I have
found this species to be not very tolerant of major disturbance.
This species is however relativel y easy to grow from seed if it is
fresh -- simply scatter onto wet milled sphagnum and ensure the moss
doesn't out grow the small Utrics. Send me your mailing address if
you would like fresh seed.

Cheers

Loyd

has been sent from talk21 http://www.talk21.com/