Re: Sarracenia Germination

From: Phil Wilson (cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk)
Date: Mon Jun 21 1999 - 14:30:05 PDT

Date: Mon, 21 Jun 1999 22:30:05 +0100
From: Phil Wilson <cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk>
To: cp@opus.hpl.hp.com
Subject: Re: Sarracenia Germination

Edwin,

>I can't get my seeds to germinate. They are from a reputable source
>(UK CPS). I put them in water and froze them for a few days, as suggested.
>Now, they are in a peat/sand mix in a warm place. It's been about four
>weeks, but nothing doing.
>
>How long should it take?
>Might they need a second chill session?

You could try chilling them for a few more weeks but do not allow them
to freeze now. If the seeds are just starting to germinate you will kill
them for sure.

Four weeks is a little on the short side so you could wait another few
weeks perhaps. Trouble is if you then decide to chill the pots there
will be precious little growing time left in the season.

If nothing germinates this year definitely keep the plants for another
year allowing them to chill naturally over the winter. You may find that
the seeds will germinate the following year.

Regards,
Phil Wilson
Email: cp@pwilson.demon.co.uk
My Sarracenia plant list is now available at http://www.pwilson.demon.co.uk